2009. december 14., hétfő

Agatha Christie


... what should I say? I love the old lady very much. Not to mention Hercule Poirot, the best detective EVER! To be honest with you,  Miss Marple is just not my cup of tea ;).  Poor thing doesn't deserve it really. But  I just don't fancy the stories featuring her... but who knows... maybe once I get older.. I will be able to enjoy her stories the same way as Poirot's ...  I doubt it though ... :)

I cannot  recall when I actually started reading her books, but they made a great impression on me that's for sure. I can remember many nights reading her stories, till late evenings. Waiting and wanting to find out who the murder was... which of course was not revealed until the last page.. :) My brother used to tease me and made fun of me, saying he would tear out the last page before I read it :) so it stays a secret for ever who the murder was... :) Isn't he nasty? But of course he never did ;)

My adoration for Agatha Christie doesn't finish once I have read her books. Oh no! My dream is to collect all the stories and novels she has ever written, to be displayed prominently on my shelves! Including the love stories written under the pen name Mary Westmacott. I have read two of them already and I do say, they are really good. The publishers started to re-publish them again, which I am very glad of because they could only be found in second-hand bookshops.

Not that I don't like “used” second-hand books. On the contrary! Love them, since they hold a separate story of the previous owner itself... if I am lucky, I can find there short notes, to whom it belong to.. or some good wishes if it was a Xmas or birthday present to someone... so I don't have phobia of old books at all.

I used to roam the flea markets in London looking for treasures :) like editions printed back in 1958. It’s amazing holding in your hand something that old in 2009. I get goose bump all over me, each time I hold it in my hand.. thinking of the road it made until it ended up with me...  anyway, after the bucket list, find here my current collection of Agatha Christie...


(x) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (1920) - the first
Hercule Poirot novel....
(-) The Secret Adversary (1922)
(-) Murder on the Links (1923) - the second Hercule Poirot story
(-) The Man in the Brown Suit (1924)
(-) The Secret of Chimneys (1925)
(-) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926) -
Hercule Poirot
(x) The Big Four (1927) - Hercule Poirot
(x) The Mystery of the Blue Train (1928) - Hercule Poirot
(-) The Seven Dials Mystery (1929)
(x) Partners in Crime (1929)
(x) The Murder at the Vicarage (1930) - The first Miss Marple novel
(-) The Sittaford Mystery (US: Murder at Hazlemoor) (1931)
(-) Peril at End House (1932) -
Hercule Poirot
(-) Lord Edgware Dies (US: Thirteen at Dinner) (1933) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (US: The Boomerang Clue) (1934)
(-) Murder on the Orient Express (US: Murder on the Calais Coach) (1934) -
Hercule Poirot
(-) Three-Act Tragedy (US: Murder in Three Acts) (1934) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Death in the Clouds (US: Death in the Air) (1935) - Hercule Poirot
(-) The ABC Murders (reprinted in US as The Alphabet Murders) (1935) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Murder in Mesopotamia (1936) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Cards on the Table (1936) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Dumb Witness (US: Poirot Loses a Client; reprinted as Mystery at Littlegreen House) (1937) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Death on the Nile (1937) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Appointment with Death (1938) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Hercule Poirot's Christmas (US: Murder for Christmas; later reprinted as A Holiday for Murder) (1938) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Murder is Easy (US: Easy to Kill) (1939)
(-) Ten Little Indians (US: And Then There Were None(1939)
(-) Sad Cypress (1940) -
Hercule Poirot
(x) One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (US: The Patriotic Murders; later reprinted as An Overdose of Death) (1940) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Evil Under the Sun (1941) - Hercule Poirot
(-) N or M? (1941)
(x) The Body in the Library (1942) -
Miss Marple
(-) The Moving Finger (US: The Case of the Moving Finger) (1942) - Miss Marple
(x) Five Little Pigs (US: Murder in Retrospect) (1943) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Towards Zero (reprinted as Come and Be Hanged (1944)
(x) Death Comes as the End (1944)
(x) Sparkling Cyanide (US: Remembered Death) (1945)
(x) The Hollow (US: Murder After Hours) (1946) -
Hercule Poirot
(x) Crooked House (1949)
(x) A Murder is Announced (1950) -
Miss Marple
(-) They Came to Baghdad (1951)
(-) Mrs McGinty's Dead (US: Blood Will Tell) (1952)
(x) They Do It with Mirrors - (US: Murder with Mirrors) (1952) -
Miss Marple
(-) A Pocketful of Rye (1953) - Miss Marple
(-) After the Funeral (US:Funerals are Fatal; UK:Murder at the Gallop) (1953) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Hickory Dickory Dock (US: Hickory Dickory Death) (1955) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Destination Unknown (US: So Many Steps to Death) (1954)
(-) Dead Man's Folly (1956) -
Hercule Poirot
(-) 4.50 from Paddington (US:What Mrs McGillicuddy Saw; US:Murder, She Said) (1957) - Miss Marple
(-) Ordeal by Innocence (1958)
(-) Cat Among the Pigeons (1959) -
Hercule Poirot
(-) The Pale Horse (1961)
(-) The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (US: The Mirror Crack'd) (1962) - Miss Marple
(x) The Clocks (1963) -
Hercule Poirot
(-) A Caribbean Mystery (1964) - Miss Marple
(-) At Bertram's Hotel (1965) - Miss Marple
(-) Third Girl (1966) - Hercule Poirot
(-) Endless Night (1967)
(-) By the Pricking of my Thumbs (1968)
(x) Hallowe'en Party (1969) -
Hercule Poirot
(x) Passenger to Frankfurt (1970)
(-) Nemesis (1971) - The last
Miss Marple novel
(x) Elephants Can Remember (1972) - The last Poirot novel written
(-) Postern of Fate (1973) - The last novel Christie wrote
(x) The Thirteen Problems (1974) -
Miss Marple
(x) Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (1975) - Hercule Poirot
(x) Sleeping Murder (1976) - Miss Marple

Collections of short stories:
(x) Miss Marple's Final Cases (1979) - a collection of  short stories
(x) Three Blind Mice and other stories (Also published as Mousetrap)
(x) The Listerdale Mystery (1934)

Novels under the Nom de Plume of  "Mary Wesmacott"
(-) Giant's Bread
(x) Unfinished Portrait
(-) Absent in the Spring
(x) The Rose and the Yew Tree
(-) A Daughter's a Daughter
(x) The Burden

Memoirs
(x) An Autobiography (1977) - published a year later after here death
(-) Come, Tell Me How You Live

Books under the name of Agatha Christie Mallowan
(-) Star Over Bethlehem
     

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése